Friday, August 26, 2011

Shannon's Guest Post


[I asked the crew if they would be willing to share some of their individual thoughts, feelings and experiences from the race via their own person guest blog post.  They were all willing, and some more eager than others, to share.  So...

Mile 99.5
 ...here is the first guest post from Shannon, seen above with her Rally 'Stache.]


Zero to Thirteen point Five – Ode to JP

So after JP not only successfully completed his first try at the LT100, but well under his goal of 28 hours, he asked his crew if we would write a personal post of our individual experience.  He said it could be about anything along the way and as long as it had a shred of truth, it was fair game.  I started writing and it quickly became apparent that I could write a book (or at least a small pamphlet) about my experience.  I can’t really focus on any one thing or event to write about, so to abbreviate, I tried to write it somewhat like an outline in poetic form.  Most of all, I hope it’s clear that I am proud of my friend JP who set, worked hard at, and accomplished this amazing goal.  I am thankful he asked me to participate and trusted in my ability.  I am proud of my husband who so enthusiastically jumped on board and worked through plantar fasciitis to help his friend, and thankful he wanted to share this experience with me.  I’m thankful for the organizational skills of our crew chief, Molly, who kept us on track.  And for Denise, our new friend and pacer, that so joyfully got JP up and over Hope Pass, the turning point for a lot of runners.

Without further adieu, my Ode to JP…

The last leg, the easiest leg.  I want to, but I’m unsure if I can do. 
Two months of internal debate; then comes March 27, my commitment date.
20-week training plan.  From zero to 13.5, I think I can.
As I start, tender knees and shins so sore; so off I go to the running store.
Proper shoes to alleviate; how my foot strikes with an over-pronate.  
Tender knees fixed, but shins still a bitch; how am I ever going to fix this?
Memphis heat too hard to beat; so off to the gym with my two feet.
Treadmill, oh treadmill, how I love thee - let me count the ways; legs, lungs and shins bless your soft, revolving ways.
Scolded for treadmill use, off to find trails; for that will be my course.
Tour de Wolf, IH Managerial and Herb Parsons Lake; why haven’t I found you sooner, for Christ sake?
Increased mileage, shins still sore; so off again to the running store.
Compression socks, ice, castor oil and tape; again, why haven’t I found you sooner, for Christ sake?!
Memphis is sea level but Leadville is not; so let’s add some stairs to the mix, however calves like it – not!
Yoga, run, stairs, run, yoga, run, run – 4 weeks out this was my training week. 
Surely I’ll be ready; for my short leg, of the trail 100, Leady.
Two weeks out I have my longest run yet; 12 miles (2 laps) of trail around my fav Herb Parsons Lake. 
7 mile run, 5 mile walk; with the last 2 miles, just in socks. 
Shins now under control; but now I have turf toe!

Before I know it, in Leadville I am; riding the wave of energy, I know I can.
2 days until race day, JP is galloping in the living room of our skantuary to the William Tell Overture; we’re sipping Tension Tamer tea to Bolero; somehow the shag carpet, wood paneling, and last inspected in 1973 fire extinguisher, just seem to go.
1 day until race day, Molly’s spaghetti dinner extraordinaire; just seemed to calm the nervous energy in the air.
Early to bed, but with little sleep; for the thunderstorm outside was just too great.
3am wake up to send JP on his way; for it has arrived, the race day.
The energy, the heart, the dedication of everyone there; really, nothing can compare.
Shot gun sounds and the runners are off; so it begins, the 30 hours or less of going non-stop.

Off to bed for a 2-hour nap; then Fish Hatchery aid station where the action is at.
23.5 miles and JP is looking good; just 4 ½ hours in and he’s nearly ¼ done.
Quick turn to Treeline and still looking good; Bob Seger and the great outdoors seem to be JP’s food.
Off to bed again for another quick nap; Denise and I swap duties as she arises, and I protract.
2 fitful hours down, I may as well get up; can’t force the sleep, although that’s all I want.
Matt getting ready to go; his enthusiasm and preparedness in his aura, aglow. 
Twin Lakes inbound, 60.5 miles done; here come JP and Denise with energy like it’s just begun.
A change of pacers and a pit-stop for pooh; off are Matt and JP with pockets full of gu.
Back to the skantuary for yet another nap; Molly and Denise are off for the aid station backtracks.
2 more hours of sleep, at 12:30am, I awake. 
Feeling amped and ready to go; I tape my shins listening yet again, to Bolero.
Molly and Denise settle in for a brief nap; as I finish getting ready for the last lap.
2:30am off to May Queen we head; with JP the last leg, I am ready to tread.
Just before 4 the boys roll in; and after yet another pit-stop for JP, we’re ready to begin.
Just past 4, JP and I head out; for me, this last 13.5 is what it’s all about.
15 min water sips, ½ hour gu and electrolyte hits, keeping a 16:50 mile I am told to maintain; but can JP’s body and knees handle all this, at this time and terrain?
So in the dark we set out; sleepy eyed yet energized, I have no doubt.
30 hours allotted, yet 28 hours his goal; for his first time out, no time for just a stroll.
We power hiked through early morning and dawn, JP never making a fuss.  In fact, when his knees were screaming, he screamed back – this feels fantastic! sans any muss. 
An Irish jig he did at the bottom of the 2nd power line hill; telling his body he will not be stilled.
When we saw mile 95, we knew we were close; just over 1 more hour, until we could toast.
Several signs posted along those last, long miles.
The first sign I read aloud said “Dig Deep” and he said, “I am!” with smiles.
The second sign said “You can do it” and I read “You ARE doing it.”  He liked my version better.
Trail met pavement and the last mile was underway; we knew he would meet his goal on this day.
Quick change of roles as runner paced his pacer; for my lungs were not quite ready to be a racer.
Rally staches donned; JP, Molly, Denise, Matt and I jogged on.
As Team Blister brought JP in to finish in 27:40; we all knew we all had completed our parts, job well done!
Now JP wants to know who’s next, Matt or me?  As of now, maybe neither, maybe both…
Regardless of what the future holds; this experience will affect us all for years untold.

Commit not to quit!
You are better than you think you are, and you can do more than you think you can!

With gratitude for the Rally Stache Gang (a.k.a. Team Blister) and our experience together,

Shannon : )




3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Shannon! And Jpizz you might think about your technological journey along the way as well? From scoffer to guest posts on your own blog? Well, i'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Rally Stache Gang (Team Blister). Very proud of you all and especially my dear daughter Shannon-long-legs-run-like-a-dear-Bikram-Yoga-sweetie and son-in-law Mr. Matt-run-like-a-jet-guitar-man-singer-so-cool-Fuller. Go for it next year and I be on the trails with you - well, if not pacing at least serving gu or somptin along the route! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dear Shannon, our favorite and awesome daughter in law,

    So very proud of you and your determination and grand finale! Would always want you on our team!

    Here's to many more life altering moments.

    Love, peace & health,

    Calo & Tommy

    ReplyDelete