Sunday, July 3, 2011

Crew

There's been a shake up with my crew.

If you're like I was last year, it never occurred to you that someone would need a "crew" to finish a race, unless it was a NASCAR race or something.  I've since learned that to successfully run a race like the LT100, especially if one is a rookie like me, a runner needs the help of a crew.  A crew typically consists of one or two extremely tolerant and patient people who meet the runner at aid stations and generally handle all the logistics (food, water, gear, first aid, etc.) and a pacer or pacers who accompany the runner for some distance during the last 50 miles of the race. 

Right after I signed up for the race in November, I immediately recruited a crew.  I asked Molly to be my crew chief because that position requires a dedicated, organized and motivated person, and it involves a good deal of "list-making" type activities, and if you were to give Molly the choice between (1) going on vacation and (2) making a list of things needed to go on vacation, I'm not sure which one she'd pick.  I mean to say, she just loves checking off those little boxes.  Also, she's seen the actual race before (Tim's race last year), and she has plenty of hiking experience on high elevation trails (including on the LT100 course), so she knows what this race is all about.  Plus, she's dedicated, motivated and very supportive.
  
Molly on Hope Pass with Twin Lakes  in background 
Molly eagerly accepted the crew chief position and immediately set about creating a list of lists we will need for the race.  If you think I'm exaggerating, think again.
Trey's hair

Trey eschewing ski lifts

Next, I recruited pacers to get me through the final 50 miles of the course.  I asked my buddy Trey Overdyke, who is a great runner, a crazy high-elevation endurance athlete and has fantastic hair.  See for yourself.  He was psyched to experience the race.
   
 



 I also asked Matt Fuller, my good friend from the old days in Alaska, to be my pacer.  Matt's not a long distance runner, but he is a badass of transcendental proportions.  He's never run a long distance race (or even a medium distance race) in his life, and he now lives in Memphis (about 300' above sea level) , but when I asked him to pace me for a full 26 miles up and down mountains above 11,000', he didn't even hesitate.  He was instantly all in.  Since then, he's been training non-stop.

Matt at the 2010 Mile High Music Festival in Denver
I didn't intend on having more than two pacers, but Matt's wife Shannon asked if she could pace a section too (Matt's enthusiasm must've rubbed off).  Shannon's a great athlete and Bikram Yoga instructor, and also a great friend from the old Alaska days, so I'm looking forward to running/hobbling the final 13 miles with her to the finish line.
Shannon at Coor's Field last summer
Unfortunately, just yesterday Trey told me that due to a serious injury (don't worry, it's not a hair injury) he can't pace me in the race.  He was very disappointed, as was I, but the good news is he'll recover, and we can try again next time.  Luckily, I was able to call in my ace reserve pacer to take over for Trey.  So, Denise Langone, of the Boston Langones (though, she's all Denver now), is the intrepid soul who will get me through the 10-mile section that crosses the 12,600' Hope Pass.  Denise is not only an accomplished athlete (runner and triathlete), she's also an uncomfortably talented makeup/special effects artist.
Denise as Denise

Denise as Marilyn Manson
So, that's my crew.   Denise (mile 50-60), Matt (mile 60-86), Shannon (mile 86-finish) and Molly keeping it all together. 

Tim's crew will be the same as last year with Paul and Erin pacing and Lori crewing, except that because I can't pace him this year, he'll be replacing me with our cousin Roy, who moonlights as a U.S. National Team Ironman Triathlete and spawns children who set national records in high school track.  Even though Tim was initially disappointed I can't pace him this year, I think in the end he's pretty happy with the upgrade he got.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are certainly set-up for success with your crew and support. I don't want to add any pressure, but as Molly IS missing the Nugget's First and only first birthday, you better hit that finish line and make it worthwhile. At the very least provide a good enough reason to hopefully keep the Nugget out of therapy over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know she's missing the Nug's first b-day -- I feel terrible about that! I tried to get Lifetime Fitness to move the race date a few days in either direction, but they politely declined my request.

    ReplyDelete